Official reports on language education
The following collection lists some recent official reports relevant to language education (and therefore to CLiE).
- 2019.10: Education Endowment Fund: Integrating English.
- The project found that a teaching programme called “Language in Learning Across the Curriculum (LiLAC)” had no effect on EAL learners’ writing.
- 2019.7: Education Endowment Fund: Improving literacy in secondary schools.
- The report recommends the explicit teaching of the special language of each subject – see our resources on subject language.
- 2019.5: The British Academy: Cognitive Benefits of Language Learning: Broadening our Perspectives, by Professor Bencie Woll FBA and Professor Li Wei
- 2019.2: The British Academy, the Academy of Medical Sciences, the Royal Academy of Engineering and the Royal Society: Languages in the UK: a call for action.
- 2017. 9: The Royal Society and the Education Endowment Fund: Review of SES and Science Learning in Formal Educational Settings. (concludes that the main causal link between social class and attainment in science is via literacy)
- 2016.12: Teaching Schools Council: Modern Languages Pedagogy (the Bauckham report).
- 2014: The British Academy: Born Global: A British Academy Project on Languages and Employability, by Bernardette Holmes
- 2013: The British Academy: Languages: The state of the nation.
- 2007: The Languages Review (the Dearing report), by Ron Dearing and Lid King
- 2002: DfES: Languages for all: languages for life
- 1990: A Survey of Language Awareness and Foreign Language Taster Courses. A Report by HM Inspectorate
- 1989: English for ages 5 to 16 (the Cox Report)
- 1988: Report of the Committee of Inquiry into the Teaching of English Language (the Kingman Report)
- 1987: Modern foreign languages to 16
- 1977: Modern Languages in Comprehensive Schools
- 1975: A Language for Life (the Bullock report on the teaching of English).
For a longer historical timescale, there’s a massive, and possibly complete, historical collection of documents including reports on education.