Language analysis in education
This was the topic of a short meeting at 6.00-7.30 (followed by drinks) on Tuesday Feb 27th 2018 hosted by the British Academy. Here is the programme:
- The UK Linguistics Olympiad (UKLO), whose successes in 2017 show not only that school children enjoy the challenge of language analysis but that the UK is potentially very good at it:
- Some introductions by Dick Hudson
- More on the UK’s successes at the IOL and the trophy they won by Neil Sheldon
- A brief run through some very difficult olympiad problems by the 2017 world champion, Sam Ahmed.
- David Crystal presenting The case for language analysis in schools.
- Ideas from the audience about possible ways forward.
Here is some material distributed at this meeting:
- a list of participants.
- a fact-sheet about language analysis and UKLO.
- an editable sheet for comments and contact information from participants.
And some pictures, thanks to Eva Eppler.
For more information, contact the organiser, Dick Hudson.