Language analysis in schools
CliE is very keen to promote ‘language analysis’, meaning the analytical study of all areas of language structure:
- grammar (syntax and morphology), phonology, phonetics, spelling, vocabulary, semantics
- single-system synchrony or contemporary variation or historical change
- in English alone or in other languages or in comparison between languages.
CLiE has already taken some steps in this campaign:
- A campaign for an A-level in Linguistics, which is currently suspended for lack of progress.
- The launch (by CLiE, in 2010) of the UK Linguistics Olympiad (UKLO), which has proved a great success.
- Persuading the British Academy to host a meeting in Feb 2018 to celebrate UKLO’s success and to discuss the educational benefits of language analysis.